Tokyo’s plan to make 2020 the ‘green Olympics’
Japan has big goals concerning sustainability and climate protection during the Olympic Games in 2020. The Word Economic Forum published a sustainability concept for the Olympics in Tokyo which respect nature and humans equally.
- The Japanese team will wear kit made from recycled clothing.
- The podiums will feature recycled plastic donated by the public and collected from the ocean.
- The medals will be made from recycled electronics including 6.2 million used mobile phones.
- The Olympic torch will be made from recycled metal from Fukushima and the repurposing aluminum is used to shelter earthquake survivors.
- The athletes’ village plaza is built from reusable timber. That will be dismantled after the Games finish and used again.
- Organizers are encouraging residents and businesses to play a part by asking them to cover building walls with plants.
- Japan will offset all carbon emissions caused by the Games and wants to power the event with renewable energy.
- Japan wants the 2020 Games to be remembered as the “Reconstruction Olympics”.
Here you can find more information about the “Green Olympics”: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/10/tokyo-green-approach-2020-olympic-games?fbclid=IwAR0PRGJBIbymUdQusPS6ILcYme4DwQyZUbZFMbi4QEjuKdL65bPI9ztQYUk